Honey is the nectar of the gods! This sauce is a cinch to make but the heavenly honey flavor will tantalize your taste buds and tempt your tongue in unimaginable ways. Pair this sauce with ribs, pour it on a pulled pork sandwich, or dip your drumstick in its sweet, tempting flavors and you will know what it is like to eat like a god!
- 2 C Water
- 2/3 C Ketchup (Hunt’s has finer puree’)
- ¼ – ½ C Honey to Taste
(note: styles of honey will affect flavor. Start with ¼ C and see if you like the flavor intensity & sweetness; it will intensify a bit as the sauce cooks down.)
- ¼ C Vinegar
- 3 T Molasses
- 1 t Liquid Smoke
- ¼ t Black Pepper (coarsely ground preferred)
- ¼ t Paprika
- ¼ t Garlic Powder
- ¼ t Salt
- Mix all ingredients well in a saucepan and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Simmer 45-60 minutes while sauce thickens (be careful to not scorch the honey).
- Serve warm or chill in a covered container for 24 hours to allow flavors to mellow.
Most all barbecue sauce is not meant to be cooked on your meat throughout the entire cook — the sugars in most sauces will scorch (mop sauces are an exception) and the meat will be a charred mess. Apply warm sauce the last 10 minutes of the cook when using the indirect method after your meat has reached the correct temperature. If you are grilling with direct heat (i.e., directly over coals or a burner), then reduce your heat to low and baby-sit it to avoid scorching the sauce.